The South Shore Press
← Back to Local
Local

Cop-Punching Suspect Convicted

A Hampton Bays man was convicted of assaulting two Southampton Town police officers who were attempting to arrest him following a vehicle pursuit last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney announced.

By Stefan Mychajliw
Cop-Punching Suspect Convicted
Terrell Harris MugshotCredit: SCDA

A Hampton Bays man was convicted of assaulting two Southampton Town police officers who were attempting to arrest him following a vehicle pursuit last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney announced.

Terrell Harris, 39, was found guilty Aug. 20 of two counts of second-degree assault, along with resisting arrest, second-degree unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and speeding.

According to prosecutors, a Southampton Town police officer responded to Harris’ Hampton Bays residence during the early morning hours of Oct. 19, 2025. Harris allegedly fled in a Ford SUV as the officer arrived.

Police determined Harris had a revoked driver’s license and outstanding warrants for aggravated unlicensed operation and driving while intoxicated.

About an hour later, the officer located Harris parked outside the Hampton Bays Library. As the officer approached on foot and another officer arrived to assist, Harris drove away at a high rate of speed, prosecutors said.

The officers activated their emergency lights and sirens and pursued Harris. The chase ended when Harris stopped in the driveway of his residence.

When officers attempted to arrest him, Harris became combative and repeatedly punched both officers, causing injuries, according to prosecutors. Additional officers responded and took Harris into custody.

The two injured officers were transported to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment.

“Assaults on law enforcement in Suffolk County will never be tolerated, and my office will hold dangerous individuals like this fully accountable,” Tierney said following the verdict.

Acting Supreme Court Justice Bryan Browns remanded Harris following the jury’s decision.

Harris is scheduled to return to court Sept. 22 for sentencing. He faces up to seven years in prison on the top charge.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Syl-Don O’Gilvie and Keri Wasson of the Major Crime Bureau. The Southampton Town Police Department conducted the investigation.

You Might Also Be Interested In