The South Shore Press
← Back to World
World

Trump Orders Shortened South Korea War Games

The president cited costs and his outreach to Kim Jong Un as reasons for scaling back the annual drills without prior notice to Seoul

By Gail Wynand
Trump Orders Shortened South Korea War Games
Credit: Politico

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff announced Wednesday that the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise with U.S. forces would end after five days instead of the scheduled 11. The joint training will now conclude Aug. 21.

President Trump directed the reduction. He posted on social media Sunday that he had instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to scale down the drills because of their expense and because they sent what he called an inappropriate and hostile signal toward North Korea. Trump also pointed to his very good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and noted South Korea's unwillingness to support U.S. military operations against Iran.

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said neither U.S. nor South Korean officials received advance warning of the decision. South Korea's presidential office stated that the exercises are not meant to attack North Korea or raise tensions. The two allies agreed to reduce certain combined field training components, though details remain under negotiation. A U.S. Defense Department official said the shortened schedule still meets core readiness and training requirements.

About 28,500 U.S. troops remain stationed in South Korea under a deployment that dates to the 1950-53 Korean War. That conflict ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty, so the two Koreas remain technically at war. North Korea condemned the drills Wednesday despite the reduced scope and pledged to continue exercising its right to self-defense. North Korea has long described the joint exercises as rehearsals for an invasion.

South Korea's conservative People Power Party labeled the decision a security disaster and warned it could sideline Seoul from choices that affect its own defense. Reaction on social media platform X centered on the absence of consultation with South Korean officials before the announcement.

Trump said Monday that Kim Jong Un had responded to his outreach and that progress with North Korea was making the Korean Peninsula more secure. He shared a photo with Kim, noting their unfriendly look while adding that the two get along great. Administration aides have been pressed to arrange a summit with Kim as early as this fall, possibly around a November economic summit trip to Shenzhen, China. Trump and Kim met three times during Trump's first term, most recently at the demilitarized zone in 2019. No formal talks have occurred during the current term.

North Korea continues to expand its nuclear and missile programs and has sent troops to support Russia's war in Ukraine. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung used the announcement to press for greater South Korean command authority over its own forces and faster development of a nuclear submarine capability. South Korea's center-left government had previously proposed trimming joint drills as a goodwill gesture toward the North.

China's senior diplomat was scheduled to visit Seoul this week amid growing doubts among Asian allies about U.S. reliability as a security guarantor. The shortened exercises come at a time when U.S. taxpayers fund the long-term presence of American forces on the peninsula, and any change in training scope directly affects the readiness of those units. For Long Island communities with ties to military families and defense contractors, the decision raises questions about how future cost controls and diplomatic moves may shape the scope of U.S. commitments abroad.

You Might Also Be Interested In